Friday, September 19, 2014

6 Tips to Being Happy

Happiness- "A mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy." As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, my senior year and summer going into my freshman year of college was the absolute best year of my life thus far. I explored France for two weeks and stayed in a french home, I went to various events and experienced their culture, I flew to Texas to reunite with one of my closest friends, and last but not least spent a week at a beach house with my family and friends. My favorite part of the summer was spending every waking moment doing something. I was always exploring and adventuring with the people I love most, even if it was somewhere local. Leaving to go to college was a huge shock and for me like I have mentioned earlier it has been very difficult.
This may not be the case for everyone, but for me at least there are multiple reasons I haven't been my happiest and a lot of those reasons aren't in my control but, some are.
1. Don't give up
If you are unhappy in a particular situation and setting I'm not telling you to stay there, because honestly even I have been thinking about leaving but make the best effort. I'm a month into college and I know about 6 people and have been feeling ridiculously lonely and homesick, and only now am I realizing I can't just expect people to come to me I need to go out and make an effort. Complaining and sitting and watching Netflix religiously won't help you at all, but wouldn't it be awesome if it did?
2. Go home
Seriously, homesickness is real just like senioritis is. You hear people talking about them often but you do not really acknowledge that they are real until you have them. Go see your dog, ask your mom to do your laundry, have a movie night with your best friend, and spend some quality time with your parents. I love my parents and I'm lucky enough to be close to them as much as they both irritate me, and despite what you think, you will miss them. I don't care if you're 35 or 18, it happens. Last year I swore to them I wouldn't miss home and that I was "over California" and better off elsewhere. I definitely thought my mom would be the one calling me every day and telling me how much she misses me, but guess who that is in reality? That would be me ;) In the beginning I thought maybe going home wouldn't help me and just make me want to stay forever but it actually re-motivates you to go back and kick some ass at school or wherever you may be.
3. Friends and Family are forever
My 3 best friends all stayed home and as much as they say they want to be in my position I want to be in theirs. It sucks when your friends all hang out with each other, trust me it really does. I personally get a little jealous especially since I haven't really made a life for myself yet where I am now. But, they are their when you get back. Focus on you. This sounds immature but instead of bumming my self out I don't look at my friends snap chat stories or social media. All it's going to do is make me sad and distract me from what I need to be doing which is either writing a 7 page essay (yes, those are real sadly), or having fun, so I just don't.
4. Don't get hammered every night
Wow what a concept. Especially where I am this seems to be a hard tip for people to swallow because frankly there's not much else to do. But, especially if you are unhappy it is the stupidest thing you can do. Luckily I don't have an addictive personality but I have already seen a couple of people drowning because of the combination of sadness and alcohol. You can't just drink away your problems. It doesn't work like that. The people I know who went down that route are now even more depressed and worse off then they were before, it isn't worth it, honest. Froyo dates and netflix nights still should be a thing, in my book at least.
5. Go to parties
 Though I haven't met a lot of people, the people I have met are from the parties I have been to. You do not have to drink to go. I have been to a lot of different parties where I am the one taking care of everyone and those are the ones I have had the most fun at personally. You dance and mingle and also, it's just fun to watch a bunch of people act idiotically because they aren't always in their best form of mind.
6.  Explore your surroundings
It doesn't matter what age you are, go on adventures. My most fun memories here so far have been getting out of my usual area and going to new places. Whether it's doing an activity you've never done before, shopping at a new mall, or just eating at a new restaurant, new is good.  Being around things you aren't familiar with can only help you grow even if it doesn't feel like you are.

I hope this helped, thank you again for your support & I hope you have a fantastic weekend!
If you want to contact me, please feel free, my email is tsmithh14@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment